The Marshall District Library’s annual Summer Reading Club has officially come to a close and things around the library have been pretty quiet lately. That will all change when school starts September 2nd and our Early Literacy programing resumes the week of September 8th.
This is probably very welcome news for many of you. Better still is that all three of our regular storytimes will return with our favorite stories and songs and some new ones thrown in there too!
- Baby Time (Birth-24 months): Mondays, 11:00-11:30 am
- We read two stories (one is repeated throughout the entire session), sing three songs, recite several nursery rhymes, learn a sign (sign language) and interact with a play activity.
- Toddler Time (Ages 2-3): Thursdays, 10:30-11:00 am
- Toddler Time is the next step up and is full of energy! We read three stories (one is repeated throughout the entire session), sing four songs, recite several nursery rhymes and do finger pushups and a finger play (repeated throughout the entire session). Special toys are brought out for play afterwards.
- Little Tykes Storytime (Ages 3-5): Tuesdays, 10:30-11:00 am
- This is our last program that is designed with the 5 Early Literacy practices in mind and is the most active. During Little Tykes we read three books, sing two songs, do a finger play and end with a craft.
In addition to the above storytimes we are also starting two new Early Literacy programs!
- Crazy 8s Playgroup (Ages 2-5): Wednesdays, 10:30-11:00 am
- Every week we will build stuff, run and jump, make music, create a mess and let’s be honest, just have fun… All with different math activities!
- 1000 Books Before Kindergarten
- Starting September 8th we encourage any child from birth until he or she enters Kindergarten to come down to the Library to sign up for this program. When you do, your child(ren) will receive a reading log, information on the program and a book. Then for every additional 100 books you read together you will receive another free book. If you complete all 1000 books before entering Kindergarten your child will receive a certificate of completion. It’s as simple as that! (For more information on the initiative itself, please visit their website.)
For the current schedule please contact the Youth Services Desk at 269-781-7821 x15 or visit our events calendar.
So, while you are enjoying the last weeks of summer, we are busy working to make sure all of our programs are ready for you and your children when you return! In the meantime if you have any questions please contact the Youth Services Desk (269-781-7821 x15) or stop by to see us.
Everyone here at the Marshall District Library hopes you have a wonderful rest of your summer and that we see all of you again soon!